Monday, November 29, 2010

Susan G Komen 3 Day

Finally my post on a very life changing event that I participated in Nov 12-14th of 2010. I was able to do the Susan G Komen 3 day Breast Cancer 60 mile walk and it was AMAZING!!!! This is a picture of our team before opening ceremonies. Our team name was "One in Eight No More" because 1 in 8 women are diagnosed with Breast Cancer in their lifetime. Ironically there were 8 women on our team.


Danielle and I with our Energizer Bunny ears at opening ceremonies.

Daniella Janna and I at the first Cheering Station which ended up being very close to our house.

My Mom was able to be at the first cheering station. She was a big support to me throughout the whole event.
Preston and Natalie also made it out to the 1st cheering station. 6 miles into our journey.


There were firemen cheering us on along the route. I LOVE firemen and so I took a picture of them sporting their studly pink shirts.
I passed the pink ears onto Natalie at the afternoon cheering station. I think I was about 16 miles in at this point.

The whole family at the cheering station. For the record Preston did Taylor's hair in 2 little ponytails on this first day of being Mr. Mom. I think he did a great job.

This picture was at the Grab N Go all 3 days. I think it was used for motivational purposes. :-)

Completion of Day 1 - 20 miles. I got a little sunburned on my arm this first day and I still have a tan line of the pink ribbon that was painted on my arm.

All the wrappers from the bandages I used to comfort my feet for the start of Day 2.
This next picture needs a long introduction. So a recap: Day 1=20 miles walking, Night 1 very cold got about 4 hours of sleep, Day 2=25 miles of walking. Memory check 20 miles already walked and only 4 hours of sleep. At about mile 12 on day 2 (aka 32 miles into journey) a little after lunch I just kept crying. I was EXHAUSTED!!!! I received letters from family members (mom, sister, older brother and Preston) that I read the morning of day 2. In the letters they all said they were proud of me and praying for me. So I cried from exhaustion and also because of the realization that I could do this because I had a huge support system pulling for me. At this point I was also in a decent amount of pain in my left foot from the arthritis and tendonitis. I knew that Preston and the kids would be at the 2nd cheering station and I kept telling myself "If I could just make it to that cheering station I would be so much better." Well that would not be until mile 19 that day. I was doubting my ability. We got to the first cheering station at mile 13.5 Day 2 and I was still crying a little. I then recognize Russ (Janna's husband and Danielle's Dad) in the crowd so I cry a little more. Then I recognize the 4 people sitting next to Russ aka MY FAMILY and I just start BAWLING!!!! It completely lifted my spirits to see them and give them all hugs. So here we all are at the 1st Cheering Station on Day 2 Mile 33.5. Preston said he just felt he should make it to the 1st station when he learned how far I would have to walk on Day 2 before the 2nd cheering station. He is a smart man. This was one of the highlights of the whole weekend.


We ended up taking a sweep bus between 2 of the pit stops on Day 2. All 3 of us needed it and it shaved 6 miles off our day. So confession time I only walked 54 of the 60 route miles during a 3 day time period. You can judge me if you want but I can happily say I walked 54 MILES in 3 days and I lived to blog about it :-)

Many people asked me why I was doing this 3 day event. I did it for a few reasons but 3 in particular. My Mother-in-Law is a 12 year survivor and so I honor her amazing fight to beat Breast Cancer. I also did it for Taylor and Natalie so I could try to help find a cure before my girls are old enough to get breast cancer. Preston and the kids decorated the car and these are a couple of the windows.


Day 2 done and boy were we TIRED!!!
This little pink tent was my home away from home for 3 days. It got down in the 40's at night and it was cold. I was so happy to get home to my warm bed.

My camera battery died the morning of Day 3 and I had already sent my spares in my suitcase and had it loaded on the semi truck when they died. So I don't have any pictures of Day 3 to post until closing ceremonies when Preston came with another camera to use. My sister Sherri came to closing ceremonies and a 2nd cheering station on Day 2. Sherri was a huge support to me in all my fundraising and preparation for the 3 day as well as during the actual 3 day.
The family at closing ceremonies.

Janna Danielle and I after it was all said and done. I was with these amazing ladies during the whole 3 days. It was a lot of fun and I will always cherish this time.

My mom made this cute Welcome Home sign for me to see when I came home. She is always so thoughtful. Notice I am holding my shoes to walk in the house. Those shoes did not go back on my feet for days.

What my feet looked like at the end of 3 days of walking. Overall they were in pretty good shape. A couple of big blisters on 2 of my toes and a taped arch. (I had the medics tape it half way through day 3. I should have had them do it the morning of Day 2) Now 2 weeks later the affect of my feet is this: arch that is still sore, lost 1 toenail, bruise under toenail, infected toe that will probably lose its nail too. Not too bad for 3 full days of hitting the pavement. In case you are wondering, "Yes I would love to do it all again" :-)

2 comments:

Dixiechick said...

So cool!!! I love it. What an accomplishment. Experiences like that really are incredible. Glad you had such a great support system there for you. It does make all the difference. Congratulations on finishing something so hard!

dan and ashley said...

you rock julie! what an amazing experience! i was SO bummed when jaylee came down sick that 1st day we wanted to cheer you on :(