Monday, November 16, 2009

My first 5K

On Saturday Oct 31st I participated in my first 5k (3.1 miles). I joined my sister in law's team for the JDRF (Juvenille Diabetes Research Fund) The theme of the event was "Say boo to diabetes" Liz (my sis-in-law) has Type 1 diabetes along with some of her siblings so I thought I would join the cause. I raised some money and trained for the race.
This is our little family on the light rail heading to the event. This was our first time on the light rail.

They gave out a lot of free stuff and had a lot of activities for the kids to do. Before the race the kids painted pumpkins.
Got their face painted.


Played in a bounce house and slid down an inflatable slide.


Me Kendall and Liz and the starting line. I was about 20 minutes late starting the race because I was in line for the bathroom.

Here I am crossing the finish line. Here is an explanation of the 5k. It was really a walk not a run (which I didn't realize) There was almost 20,000 participants and I saw about 6 other people jogging during the course. I jogged most of the way but spent most of my time going sideways to zig zag around people. I had to stop a few times to walk because I just couldn't get around people. I could've just walked it with everyone else, but I had made a new years resolution to run a 5k by the end of the year so that is what I trained and set out to do. We will chalk this up to my practice 5k because on Dec 19th I will participate in another 5k (Lifetime Fitness Reindeer Run) I figure since run is in the title then people will be running.


After the race they had a kids stage where different musicians would play. Taylor loves to dance and so she went to the front of the chairs and just danced away while the guy played. It was really cute, a lot of people would just stop and watch her and smile. After one of the songs the musician said "Looks like we have a winner to the dance competition. This little girl in the front." ( She was the only one dancing)
Natalie sporting the smallest team shirt we could find. She looks like the little ghost on the shirt with her little legs poking out.

Our family right before heading home.

No comments: