Saturday, April 17, 2010

Pat's Run 2010

Today I participated in Pat's Run. It is a 4.2 mile race held in Tempe. The race ends on the 42nd yard line inside Sun Devil Stadium. The purpose is to honor Pat Tilman who played #42 at ASU and died while serving in Iraq. The proceeds of the race go towards scholarships for veterans and their families. There was a record turn out this year, just under 20,000 runners ran the course.

The race was supposed to start at 7am so we got up way too early for a Saturday morning and left the house at 5:30 am. Here are the kids right after we got to the race. Natalie's face makes me chuckle. Her expression tells a story of "Yeah I am here and it is 6 am. Is this some kind of joke?"

Me before the race.

While I was running the kids played some video games, got some free stuff, met some mascots etc. They were really late starting the race. I was lined up for a whole hour before I actually crossed the starting line. So the kids had a lot of time for play.The final stretch, I had about a quarter mile to go at this point. I mustered up a small wave to my kids and Preston. I am in the middle of the picture to the left of the lady wearing black shorts and a black tank top.
My friend Hollie signed up and did the race with me. I was so glad that she did. She kept motivating me throughout the whole race. This is after the race was done. Happy to report I finished the 4.2 miles in 53 minutes 2 seconds. My goal was 1 hour so I was very pleased with the results.

Nathan participated in the kids race this morning. They ran .42 miles and also ended on the 42nd yard line. Nathan never ceases to amaze me at his running abilities. I am so proud of him. I don't know what his time was, I am guessing around 3 minutes. After he was done he asked if that was all he was going to run. He is very used to running at least a half mile 2 times a week during running club.
Before Nathan's race started.

After Nathan's race we had to pose in front of the finish line. To showcase our accomplishment.

I then took Nathan around to get autographs from Sparky and some of the ASU football team.

His shirt after he was done getting autographs.
This is what Taylor looked like on the drive home. She was pooped, you would think that she ran a race, maybe next year. That is cotton candy all over her face. I don't think she will care for this picture much when she gets older, but I had to take it. It sums up how I was feeling after the tiring morning.

2 comments:

kh said...

Good for you Julie! I can't wait to start racing again. Marcor has shown interest in it and I think what a better way to spend time with your son. Way to go Nathan!

Mary Ann said...

That's awesome Julie! Good job! You look great! So proud of you! I wanted to do that.. maybe next year~