Thursday, January 8, 2009

And it came to pass........

I RAN OUT OF GAS!!!!!!!!!!! Yes you read this correctly. One of my worst fears happened today, this is how it all went down. Okay I drive a gas guzzler of a vehicle and I try to not let it get below 1/4 of a tank. I noticed on Monday that I was getting low and needed to get gas. I planned on getting gas today but then when I was leaving the DR's office today I noticed the gage said I had a full tank. My heart went pitter patter thinking that Preston got me gas after mutual last night. I was very grateful. Then I ran to Target and when I was leaving the gage said I was on empty. I figured it was something to do with the way I was parked on a slope. (stupid I know but that was my thought) This afternoon I ran 2 more errands dry cleaners, and picking out Taylor's bday cake. Both times the gage would tell me something different. Full one time Empty the next. I then begin to wonder what is up with my gas gage. I tried to call Preston to clarify if he did indeed get me gas. He didn't answer his phone so I put it in the back of my mind and head off to get groceries. On the way home I cross through the intersection about 3/4 mile from my house and the car DIES. I coast as long as I can and pull to the side of the road and put my flashers on. Taylor is in the back saying "Mom GO! why are you stopping?" obviously she can tell something isn't right. I am extremely flustered. I call Preston again and he immediately tells me to hold on. I try to say quickly "Preston I am stalled in the middle of the road" He doesn't here me and puts the shop guy Johnny on the phone to take a message. So I tell Johnny that I am in the middle of the road. Preston calls back a couple minutes later and I confirm that he did not get gas and that I am probably out of gas. He comes quickly from the shop and brings me some gas. I then continue to Nathan's school to pick up carpool from running club, get gas and then go home. The whole stranded ordeal lasted about 12 minutes but seemed like 12 hours. Many were quite rude they would blare on their horn, not a single person offered to help. I just wanted to cry. It made me a nervous wreck to watch people come up behind me and wonder if they were going to slow down or stop in time. SCARY STUFF!!!!!!!!! The two positive sides of this story is that my girls were content in their car seats and safe I was fully expecting Natalie to get hungry and just start screaming. I am so grateful that we live sooo close to the lockshop so it wasn't long before my knight in shining armor rescued me.

5 comments:

Kary Ann Hoopes Photography said...

that is so stinky. I know that is so frustrating. thank good ness good old preston was there in a short time. Not very fun with little kids! I hope your day go better than that today!

Hollie said...

What timing...right in the middle of a busy road. Couldn't have happened in your neighborhood or a parking lot! Glad everything turned out okay in the end!

kh said...

Can I just say that the COMPASSION in this city is GONE. LONG GONE.

I am sorry for your 12-minute/12-hour ordeal. I totally can relate, being in a situation like that with babies is not fun. I am just mad you didn't make contact with a Good Samaritan. But having a Knight is much better.

Glad your story had a happy ending!

Christie said...

Ugh! That is one of my worst nightmares...running out of gas with a car full of kids. Yuck!

Lene said...

Ugh...that is the worst. How nice that Preston is so close-by.
I am famous for driving with my fuel gauge light on. I really need to keep in the habit of not letting it drop below 1/4 of a tank. But really who can be bothered with putting gas in the ol' burban.