Sunday, November 9, 2008

the apple that DID fall far from the tree







My son Nathan and I are alike in a lot of ways. I won't get into specifics but our personalities are quite similar. Well I discovered one way that we are not alike during our trip to California in October. Preston had a Clark security Expo and Certified Locksmith Test in Anaheim and we decided to turn the trip into a family vacation. I love roller coasters and I have ever since I remember. So on the first day we were there I decided the first roller coaster I would go on would be the California Screamin ride in California Adventure. I had never been on this coaster before and it went quite fast and upside down. Nathan was tall enough so I took him with me on the ride. While in line he was excited I assured him it was perfectly safe and that they are always testing the safety of the ride. As we get closer to the front we could see how they countdown and then shoot you off for the ride he then starts to get a little more nervous. I again assure him that it is safe and that I wanted him to try every ride at least once, he may find he really likes it and want to go again. During the whole ride Nathan is constantly sreaming "MOM THIS IS REALLY SCARY" I felt bad after we got off the ride but figured he would forgive me and be ready for smaller roller coasters later. Well I traumatized him, the whole rest of that day he didn't want to go on any coasters at all. The next day he went on a couple of roller coasters but we had to do a lot of reassuring and he missed out on some of the really neat rides like Indiana Jones because I assumed that because I loved roller coasters he would lover roller coasters. I will admit it is my biggest regret of the trip taking him on the scariest ride the very first couple hours, but he did enjoy himself and I think he has forgiven me. Maybe when we go again in 2 to 3 years he will be more ready. The pictures really tell the story. The first one is us in line, see how happy he looks. The next one is once we actually got on the ride before it started, he is trying to be happy but you can tell he is nervouse. The last picture is of the screen of the picture the ride takes, he is in the bottom right of the screen you can barely even see his hair. He couldn't even see in front of him because he was soo short. I learned a good lesson that I need to stop living my life through my children and instead trying to see life through their eyes.

2 comments:

kemra said...

You crack me up! I was so confused with the the "worlds biggest PMS fan" - and I have to admit, for about 30 seconds I thought you were a little crazy! Then I saw what "PMS" was, and I got a good laugh out of it!

Your kids are so cute - congrats on #3!!! I'm glad that you found me!!! I will invite you to my blog - just trying to get everyone before I make it private!!

Lene said...

That is such a hard lesson to learn. Poor Nathan. I am sure he will forgive - one day. ;)

I like the new look of your blog.