Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Veterans Day




Today the kids and I went to see the Mesa Veterans Day Parade with my Mom and Dad. The parade itself was pretty boring. THey spaced the entries way toooo much. At times we waited 5 minutes until the next entry marched by. They did have a very memorable entry. They had someone march (mostly scouts) carrying a banner with a picture of one of the soldiers that died at war from Arizona. There was quite a few and I just sat and cried. That type of stuff really pulls at my heartstrings. I love this shot of Nathan saluting the flag. When a flag came by he would stand up take off his baseball hat and put his hand on his heart. It made me proud to see.There were a couple of funny things that happened while watching the parade. One is when one of the dance groups came by. One of the cute little blonde girls probably about Nathan's age was dancing near our side of the street. She did kind of a funny dance step and was looking right at Nathan, she got pretty close to the white line which we were told by many policeman we were forbidden to cross. Anyways she realized where she was and headed back to the inner part of the street. Nathan then looks at me and says "What was that all about?" It was hilarious, he could tell something was different about what had just happened but not sure as to why. So of course being the mom that I am I continued to tease him whenever any girls marched by with a dance or cheer group. He would just cover his face with his hat. The other funny thing I will post is about Taylor. We had been there for about 2 hours when Taylor was getting very tired. This is how our conversation went.
Taylor : " Mom is there more?"
Me: "Yes"
Taylor: "WHY?"
It was a short conversation but the was she said WHY? To the effect of why are we still torturing ourselves was pretty funny. Maybe its one of those you had to be there things. Sorry it neither story was funny to you but they were better in the moment.

2 comments:

Lene said...

I miss going to the parade. That was a tradition that stopped when we didn't live right down the street anymore. The last time we went they seemed to spread the marchers too far apart also.

Kary Ann Hoopes Photography said...

cute. Our kids love parades!